Saturday, June 18, 2011

Vista sucks sometimes... (Windows cannot detect ADB interface)

While playing with android development, whenever I connected my mytouch into the PC, it only detected storage. It didn’t matter if USB debugging was enabled: It just never detected nor loaded the adb driver. I tried to manually install the driver for adb, but, at best, it would show up with yellow question mark and error ‘device cannot be run (code 10)’. Much later I discovered that the problem was that the first time I plugged in my magic, I didn’t have Settings >> Applications >> Development >> enable USB debugging checked.

Here is the remedy:
1. Unplug your mobile
2. Find a great utility named USBDeview. Run it.
3. In the list you will see one or more “Android Phone”: for each of them, right click [uninstall selected]
4. Replug your phone.

Have Vista politely ask you to find where the driver is, and choose <Android SDK>\usb_driver\x86. If Vista does not ask, then first try to manually add the driver (Control Panel >> Add Hardware >> All Devices), and then redo everything from scratch.

No comments:

Post a Comment